Saturday, September 27, 2008

The makings of a LIFETIME network movie...

You know exactly what I am talking about... Let me cast the characters for you....
  • Innocent frazzled mother unjustly arrested for Child Endangerment (Me)
  • Young toddler sweating profusely from being locked in the car and her 5 point harness on an 83 degree day with all the windows up (Abby)
  • Frantic father using every item in his work shop to ALMOST reach the unlock button (Ryan)
  • Snoozing infant chilling in her car seat OUTSIDE the car, oblivious to what is going on. (Lily)
  • Calm, cool, collected, yet somewhat irritated 911 operator fielding the frazzled mother's call (nameless because it is not important to the plot)
  • Several other "stand in" characters trying to offer suggestions and advice

The story begins as if it was a normal Friday morning.... Hustle bustle of breakfast, dressing, hair combing, nursing, diaper changes, dog feedings, school drop off, errand running etc. Fridays are somewhat scripted week after week. I take Abby to school, run errands, pick her up from school, go visit Ryan at work so Abby can tell him all about her day (and because it's payday). Well this Friday was no different until this part of the story... Abby had brought her back pack in and was showing daddy and the other employees all the fun things she brought home from school... (a myriad of scribbled papers). So cute!

Then she decided that she wanted to run back out to the car to grab her "show and tell" item so she could show and tell Ryan and the other guys about her wedding bear from Aunt Tami. So cute. Anyway, the car was parked immediately in front of the entrance and she was in plain site at all times... and no more than 20 feet from me. Come on moms you know you have all done it! So I allowed for her independence because I was SO certain she was SO excited about her bear that she would rush right back in... well, because Abby is ADD (not dr. diagnosed... just mom diagnosed) she got distracted and got a piece of gum from the cup holder and proceeded to put herself in her car seat and buckle up (most of the way).

Well, I decided since she was not as eager to come back, I grabbed Lily and headed for the car... yep doors locked.... keys in the ignition... Abby strapped into her car seat enough that she cannot get out....windows closed. Panic sets in... she is already sweating. She is crying and now I am afraid that she is going to choke on her gum. Ryan and some employees worked on getting the lock open while I talked to Abby and tried to calm her down. When I shut my door it did not close all the way so the guys had some room to work. But after about 10 minutes I decided enough was enough... so I called 911. Just as the operator obtained all the info (my name, address, phone number, where I was parked, the description of my van, shoe size, bra size, height and weight) Ryan reached the lock and got the doors open. YEAH!

I had a dream last night that the police came to arrest me and charge me with child endangerment. So I am on edge.

Moral of the story. Get Abby a booster seat. ;)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a VERY eventful Friday! I would be just as scared as you although it is quite a funny story! I heard you a nice chat when you called Erika the other day too!! :)

Val said...

Oh my freakin' stars girl!!!!!

Unknown said...

I always forget about that 50% item for my b-day! Of course I don't have a catalog, I should just keep one! :) haha

Beck said...

Holy canoli, lady! Never a dull day!

Amanda said...

Your blog may be the most exciting one I read! I love to see updates!

Kim said...

Oh Steph! I can TOTALLY understand. It is good to hear other stories of kids getting locked in cars. I still have tragic memories of Averie. Only difference is she was 10 days old! However, it was down-pouring...that Always happens in those movies!!!